Getting a Driver License in the United States
According to USAFIS, foreign nationals come to America to build businesses, work hard, and start new lives

As an immigrant to the United States, you should know that it’s against the law to drive a vehicle without a driver’s license. To get your license to drive, you will need to take tests to prove the following:

your knowledge of driving laws (written test), your ability to drive a car (driving test), and your vision is adequate to see while driving (eye examination).

Depending on the state in which you reside, you may need to take a driver’s education class before you can apply for your driver’s license. If you have an international driver’s license, you may need to take a couple of the tests to get your driver’s license in the state in which you reside. USAFIS is an immigration service that can help you fill out the correct paperwork to immigrate to the U.S.

Use Your Social Security Card and Green Card for Identification

passport-881305_640When you go for your driver’s license, you will need proof of your identity, which is your Social Security Card and Green Card. You will also need passport photos of yourself and possibly fingerprints in order to process your license to drive (this is sometimes done at the Department of Motor Vehicles office, depending on the state).

You can find your local Department of Motor Vehicle office by looking in the phonebook or going online. USAFIS can help you learn if you are eligible to move to the United States to live and work.

Safety While Driving

  • In America, you will drive on the right hand side of the road.
  • When driving, you should always have proof of your vehicle insurance and driver’s license with you.
  • Always wear your seat belt.
  • When turning right or left, always use the car’s turn signals.
  • If an emergency vehicle passes you, pull over to the side of the road. This could be an ambulance, police car, or fire truck.
  • Never drive around a school bus if its red lights are flashing.
  • Never drink and drive.
  • Be extra careful when driving in snow, ice, fog, or rain.

Car Assistance Program

AAA is a service company in the U.S. that helps drivers if their cars break down. They will tow your vehicle to a repair shop, jumpstart your car’s battery, change your flat tire, and get more gas for you if you run out. There is a minimal yearly charge for these services, and AAA also offers special discounts for car insurance, car rentals, and vacation packages. Contact USAFIS today to get more information on immigrating to America!